With the advent of electronic marketing, you can purchase anything and everything you want with just a few taps on your phone screen or a few clicks on your mouse, and it gets delivered right to your door.
However, mattresses have joined the train a few years back. And this saves you the time and stress of going to purchase a mattress. So, gone are the days when you have to visit several mattress stores and then lay down on a multitude of mattresses until you’ve found one that ‘felt right’. It’s right about time you relieve yourself of this so-called “weekend chore” and improve your sleep with a mattress upgrade by purchasing a mattress in a box.
It is easier plus, you get to buy high quality, memory foam mattresses manufactured right here at home (Canadian-based companies). All you need to do is choose the mattress online and it would be shipped right to your home.
What is a Bed in a Box Mattress?
A bed in a box mattress (also called mattress in a box) is a bed compressed, rolled up into a box and shipped to the customer. Bed in a box is a new way of buying mattresses and most beds in a box are only sold online. This means that in the comfort of your home you can shop for a mattress, purchase it and have it delivered at your door within a twinkle of an eye.
So, instead of you going to a brick and mortar store to buy a mattress, all you have to do is to choose the mattress you want online and it gets delivered to you. Buying a Mattress in a Box helps in no small way, apart from relieving you of the troubles that come with the traditional process of shopping, it is not time-consuming neither can it be considered tedious.
Bed in a box is more convenient for both customers and mattress companies, and they also have a low price point. They also come with extended sleep trials and convenient pickup if the customer doesn’t like the bed.
WHAT’S SO GREAT ABOUT A MATTRESS IN A BOX?
In Canada, buying a mattress in a store can be a chore. More than that, you end up spending a lot more for a box store mattress than one purchased online. Why? You’re paying for all that overhead!
Online purchase doesn’t have to lease a massive, expensive showroom. No need to pay utilities on that space, and certainly don’t have to hire commission sales associates. Instead, the storefront is the website (which you don’t pay for) plus, these mattresses basically sell themselves! In addition, you can purchase mattress protectors, pillows, pillow protectors and other great products online.
BUT HOW DO YOU GET A MATTRESS IN A BOX?
That’s the beauty of foam. It can be compressed and rolled, so it fits into a nice and easy-to-ship box. When it comes to your door, you just take it out of the box, unroll it, and let it decompress. It won’t be long until your mattress is back to mattress shape, and ready to be made and slept in.
High density memory foam is made of a material called polyurethane. This type of foam has open-air cells, which can be compressed for shipping, and offer you the memory foam comfort that’s so good for your body. It will conform to your body when you’re sleeping, and by perfectly contouring to your body, it provides great neck and spine support.
It also takes the pressure off sometimes painful joint areas like your shoulders, ribs, elbows, hips and knees. And when you get up, memory foam springs back into shape. The very nature of memory foam allows us to roll it up and ship it to your door in a box.
IS A MATTRESS IN A BOX GOOD?
Many beds in a box do perform well, irrespective of the way you sleep, your height or body weight.
Most mattresses in a box are usually made up of advanced memory foam and other materials while others include innerspring, adjustable air mattresses, hybrid and latex.
Since bed in a box mattress is sold directly to the customer, online mattress brands can produce beds of higher quality for a lower cost.
How long does bed in a box mattress last?
A bed in a box can last as long as traditional mattresses. A bed in a box lasts between 7 to 9 years while traditional mattresses last from 5 years up to 15 years.
However, just like traditional mattresses, how long a bed in a box lasts depends on the use and maintenance culture it is subjected to. The materials used in the production of the mattress determines quality and durability. However, the manner of use and some other factors affect how long a mattress lasts.3 Factors that affect the lifespan of a mattress include:
- Weight of the user: More compression would be created when a sleeper in the plus-size/heavyweight range press against the mattress compared to a sleeper in the lightweight range. Bodyweight of the sleeper has an effect on the mattress lifespan.
- Usage/Activity: If kids run and jump on the mattress, it can damage it. Likewise, spillage of foods or drinks will weaken and lead to damage of the mattress materials. However, if sleeping is the only activity, the mattress would have a longer lifespan.
- Maintenance Culture: Regular cleaning and maintenance of the mattress would help keep it in a good shape and condition. Keeping the mattress clean will prevent the growth of bacteria and mold which could damage the mattress materials.
Can you sleep on a mattress in a box right away?
You should allow the mattress to fully decompress before use, usually between 24 to 48 hours. Most bed in a box today, depending on the brands, have a shorter resting period and decompress faster.
Ways to Clean Your Bed in a Box
- Use a vacuum to remove any dirt on the surface.
- Use a natural organic cleanser or a block of mild soap and water to remove stains. Avoid using harsh commercial chemicals to prevent mattress damage.
- Spray water-vinegar solution on the problem area and scrub it gently in a circular motion to remove odor.
- Use a blow dryer or dry the mattress in the sun in case of wet areas. Mattress damage can occur if hot air is idle at a spot.
Best Mattress In a Box Canada
What is the best mattress in a box in Canada?
Beds in a box are becoming increasingly popular and there are many options available on the market. With many mattress companies aiming for a mattress that offers good performance at a good price point, it might get difficult to determine the one that is best for you.
Since it is easier to compare online shops, prices are competitive with online mattress giving endless offers ranging from generous return policies, free shipping and longer sleep trials.
It is important you make the right decision about the mattress that is best for you since you spend about one third of your day in bed. The table below gives a list of the top 9 best bed in a box.
|Brand||Mattress Type||Firmness||Sleep Trial||Warranty|
|OMG Mattress||Memory Foam||Medium||101-night||10|
|Novosbed Memory foam Mattress||Memory foam||Soft, Medium, Firm||120||15|
|Douglas Mattress||All foam||Medium||120||15|
|Logan And Cove Luxury Pillow-Top Mattress||Hybrid||Medium, Firm||120||15|
|Recore Latex Foam Mattress||Latex foam||Medium||120||15|
|Brunswick Spring Mattress||Hybrid||Medium||120||15|
|Polysleep Mattress||Memory foam||Medium||100||10|
|Juno Mattress||All Foam||Medium||120||15|
|Endy Mattress||All Foam||Medium||100||10|
WHY ARE PEOPLE CHOOSING MEMORY FOAM MATTRESSES?
Memory foam mattresses have become increasingly popular. More and more Canadians are choosing a high-quality memory foam mattress over a conventional spring mattress. You’ll love how comfortable the mattress feels against your body. Even though you sink in, there is a dense base layer that offers the support your body needs for a night of healthy and restful sleep.
Anyone that normally suffers from joint pain or other chronic pain will appreciate memory foam. The medical field has been using memory foam for decades as it takes pressure off joint pressure points such as your knees, hips, elbows, ribs and shoulders.
OMG mattresses are designed to keep you cool at night. It’s infused with cooling gel and graphite. Both components act as cooling agents, so as your body heats up in your sleep, it’s wicked away and absorbed in the mattress. If you run hot at night, you’ll love this feature.
Memory foam also reduces motion transfer. If your partner tosses and turns or wakes you up getting up in the night, it would be better to get memory foam. Because the memory foam absorbs weight, pressure and movement, you’ll sleep soundly on your side without being disturbed by movement on the other side of the bed.
What to Look for in a Bed in a Box Mattress
Before you purchase any of the most popular bed in a box mattress brands, make sure you select the right one. Some tips to consider before you decide includes; mattress type, body weight, sleeping position, sleep trials, return policies, and warranties.
The mattress comes in various types and each mattress type has its own benefits and downsides. Common mattress types include memory foam, latex, innerspring and hybrid.
- Memory Foam: This is one of the most popular mattress types. Memory foam has pressure relieving, conforming, and excellent motion isolation features. However, memory foam retains heat and this makes it not suitable for hot sleepers.
- Latex Mattress: Latex mattress is cooler and gives a responsive bounce, unlike the memory foam. Latex mattresses are available in the synthetic and natural form. Latex mattresses are expensive when compared to other mattress types.
- Innerspring Mattress: This mattress type has a bouncy surface and provides an exceptional cooling layer. The mattress produces some noise due to the metal parts used in the construction. Innerspring mattresses also have less motion isolation features and little or no pressure relief.
- Hybrid Mattress: Hybrid mattress is produced as a result of combining memory foam and innerspring. Hybrid mattress provides the benefits of both memory foam and innerspring.
Your body weight influences your choice of mattress. The mattress a sleeper in the heavyweight range considers soft may be too firm for a lightweight sleeper.
Choosing a mattress based on your body weight will ensure a comfortable and quality sleep. Bodyweight is divided into three groups which include; lightweight, average weight, and heavyweight, or plus-size.
- Lightweight: Sleepers weigh less than 130 pounds. A soft or plush mattress is ideal.
- Average-weight: Sleepers weigh between 130 pounds and 230 pounds. A medium-firm mattress is ideal.
- Heavyweight: Sleepers weigh more than 230 pounds. A firm mattress is ideal.
When looking to choose a new mattress, keep your sleeping position in mind. Each sleeping position requires different preferences in terms of comfort and support. Sleeping positions include side sleeping, back sleeping, stomach sleeping, combination sleeping.
- Side sleeping: Sleepers sleep on their sides and this allows for better breathing. It is the most common sleeping position. A soft to medium-firm mattress is ideal for a side sleeper.
- Back sleeping: Sleepers sleep on their back and this allows for spine alignment. A medium-firm to firm mattress is ideal for back sleepers.
- Stomach sleeping: This is the least common sleep position. Sleepers sleep on their stomach and this could cause pressure on the spine. A medium-firm to firm mattress is ideal for stomach sleepers.
- Combination sleeping: Sleepers in this range switch between 2 to 3 sleep positions through the night. A mattress that maintains spinal alignment and provides comfort and support is ideal for combination sleepers. Usually, combination sleepers select medium-firm mattresses.
Sleep trial is a home trial period whereby the customer tries out a new mattress within the specified period. Most sleep trials range from 90 to 120 nights. Most mattress companies will pick up the mattress in case the customer doesn’t like it and donate to charity before issuing a full refund.
More like a substitute to sleep trial, a return policy allows a customer to return the mattress for a full refund. Return policies last about 30 days which allow the customer to adjust to the new mattress. Read the policy as some companies only accept returns if the mattress box is unopened.
A warranty covers any manufacturing defects which could cause damage to the bed. Most mattresses come with a standard 10-year warranty while some provide longer. Note that a warranty cannot be transferred to another reason as it applies to the original purchaser only. Learn more about the best mattress Canada has to offer by reading our post here.