Why did we choose graphite as one of the main materials for our mattress?
When we set about starting up Gotta Sleep, our mission was to provide sleep solutions to the world. We re-imagined the typical Bed in a Box mattress and infused Graphite and Gel into our pressure-relieving memory foam mattress.
First, a small history lesson.
The most widely recognized NASA spin-off is memory foam. Memory foam was invented in 1966 by Charles Yost under contract to NASA, as a cushioning material to relieve stress caused by G-force astronauts were subjected to during spaceship takeoff and landing. Once it’s great qualities were uncovered, it quickly made its way into airline pilot and passenger seats, movie theatre seats, football helmets and shoes.
In 1992 Tempur-Pedic® introduced memory foam into mattresses, as a solution to a better night’s sleep. If you’ve shopped for a Tempur-Pedic® mattress, you know they’re anything but cheap. Queen size mattresses range in price from $1,799 to $7,499.
The only problem is that memory foam tends to sleep hot.As science proved that a cooler sleep produces a better sleep, in 2011 Serta® infused gel in their iComfort® line of mattresses. This reduced the heat keeping ways of memory foam a lot.
Recently, graphite became an alternative to gel as a cooling agent in mattresses. Graphite has been used for years as an effective coolant in things like computers, electronics, and lubricants. A lot of high-end industrial processes turn to graphite thermal paste and pads to efficiently transfer heat away from the source. Although a little costly, we knew we had to have graphite in our OMG mattress.
What makes memory foam such great material in a mattress?
- Memory foam is known for relieving pain, by taking pressure off pressure points such as shoulders, elbows, ribs, hips and knees.
- Memory foam generally sleeps a bit firmer than regular foam. According to Dr. Jeffrey N. Katz (Professor of Medicine and Orthopedic Surgery at Harvard Medical School), and the National Sleep Foundation, a medium-firm mattress can lead to better sleep for those with back pain.
- As memory foam moulds to the body in response to heat and pressure, it evenly distributes body weight without gaps like inner-springs, thereby improving blood circulation, meaning your limbs won’t fall asleep after you do. The end result is reduced tossing and turning as you sleep, and fewer sleep interruptions if you’re sleeping with a partner.
- Memory foam cradles and gently contours to your body and lower back, and supports the lower back and spine as you sleep.
- Consumers that sleep on mattresses containing memory foam, including those on a Tempur-Pedic®, give their mattresses the highest consumer rating (4 out of 5).
The OMG Mattress is BEST IN CLASS when it comes to comfort because it doubles down on temperature regulation and cooling by incorporating Graphite and Cooling Gel in the pressure-relieving memory foam layer to ensure an amazing cooler, healthier sleep.
Our mattress will have you waking up rested, restored and rejuvenated, and wanting to stay in bed a bit longer.
Our OMG is comparable to The Original Casper mattress from Casper. The Casper doesn’t have graphite or gel cooling agents although it does have a layer of High-Density pressure relief memory foam. The Casper queen mattress sells for $1375. Our OMG queen mattress has graphite and cooling gel, and sells for $850. We challenge you to buy both and try them alternatively for a few weeks. Then keep the one that sleeps better.