What is CertiPUR-US?
CertiPUR-US is a certification process that ensures foam products have:
- No Ozone Depleters
- Ozone is important in our upper atmosphere. It shields us from the sun’s harmful energy. The Montreal Protocol in 1987 mandated that industries eliminate CFCs by the year 2000. Foam producers were well ahead of schedule in complying with this regulation. Unfortunately, in some areas of the world, CFCs are still used. The CertiPUR-US label prohibits the use of CFCs in the foam manufacturing process.
- No Heavy Metals (including mercury and lead)
- Heavy metals in food (mercury in fish) and in the home (lead paint in children’s toys) are a concern. CertiPUR-US laboratory testing is used to do molecular analysis which is able to detect even trace amounts of heavy metal content. CertiPUR-US verifies that registered foams are made without mercury, lead and other heavy metals.
- No Prohibited Phthalates
- Phthalates are used as a softening agent in the manufacture of some consumer products. The Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (2009) eliminated the use of eight phthalates in children’s toy and child care items. CertiPUR-US goes a step further as it requires detailed laboratory analysis of foam extractions and prohibits the use of phthalates which are bad for you in foams.
- No Polybrominated Diphenyl Ethers (PBDE) in fire retardants
- PBDEs (polybrominated diphenylethers) in foam was used historically to meet certain state flammability requirements. PBDEs was banned in the U.S. by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) in 2005. Flame retardants are now used which are safer. For a full list check out the CertiPUR-US Technical Guidelines.
- No Formaldehyde
- The absence of formaldehyde in foam is verified in CertiPUR-US-certified foam by a small chamber emission test.
- A low amount of Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs)
- Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) emissions from household products reduce indoor air quality. CertiPUR-US certified foams are tested using a small chamber test approved by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO).* In the test, foam samples are conditioned for 72 hours after which emissions of total organic compounds are measured. Results of this test verify that CertiPUR-US compliant foams have low emissions for indoor air quality (less than 0.5 parts per million).*ISO is one of the largest voluntary standards development organizations in the world, and is a trusted source for technical standards for materials, products, systems, and services. Known for their high technical quality and market relevancy, ISO standards have an important role in the technical infrastructure that guides design, manufacturing and trade in the global economy.
CertiPUR-US Certified Foam
||*Certi-Pur-US Certified Foam – Today’s highest foam production certification; Ensures that standards for content, emissions, and durability are met; Made without ozone depleters, heavy metals, prohibited phthalates, formaldehyde or BPDEs.|
No one likes to sleep on a bed that has dangerous chemicals in it. If you don’t want to harm your infant, children, family, or the planet, make the switch to a CertiPUR-US foam product.
The air in the average home has mercury, lead, heavy metals, radon, allergens, VOCs, PBDEs, and more. All these chemicals are bad for your health and the health of your children, you, and your guests.
Is CertiPUR-US Safe?
Switching to furniture and beds made from CertiPUR-US foam materials will reduce the chemicals you bring into your home. The CertiPUR-US Certification makes it easy to know if the products you want to buy will contaminate your home.
People who buy a bed and other products made with CertiPUR-US foam:
- Reduce VOCs within the home
- Improve indoor air quality
- Cut PBDE flame retardants
- Enjoy a comfortable sleep and peace of mind
Where can I find a CertiPUR-US Mattress?
Here at Gotta Sleep, we are committed to providing the highest quality beds made in Canada. Part of that is ensuring our customers are as healthier as possible. Using CertiPUR-US foam guarantees levels are safe and meet our high-quality standards.